Monday, July 21, 2008

The Distilled Bookshelf



Nik Perring http://nikperring.blogspot.com/ has a fab idea - a 'sort of meme' (oh I'm a blogging expert NOW. Had NO idea what a meme was a week ago. Now - ask me anything....) - to take an unadulterated, unedited, unchanged photo of your bookshelf.

When we left Zambia for Tanzania at the end of last year to we decided that we would only take what could fit in the back of our Landrover (plus a dog - not ours). So although this is a very good exercise in Getting Rid of All Your Shit, it sadly meant that I had to leave lots of books behind. But it also means I can now start the fun game of obtaining MORE books. And More Shit. I brought the books nearest to my heart - ones written by grandfather, father and sister – wildlifey ones in case (God forbid) I ever have to do any safari guiding again. Which would mean an awful lot of brushing up. Even though these ref books are all for Southern Africa and I live in East Africa now. No matter. And others that I just love and couldn't part with. All in all we only managed two boxes of books. And these are them (plus a few trashy one's we've bought since):








8 comments:

Nik's Blog said...

Fab blog, Miranda - and great shelves too! Well done for sharing. I'd be tempted to read the mythology one on the top shelf I think...

Nik

tam said...

bloody hell! imagine we had to do that? we once measured the books B owns in shelf space. it was in kms, i'm sure! and that was 9 years ago!

Miranda said...

Hi Nik, Thanks for visiting. Yes the mysthology one is good!

Tam. I KNOW! Its the first thing I thought of. That you'd need some fish eye lens or something to get them all in...

fush&chips said...

Hmmm... Nice to see Howard Mark's "Mr Nice". Not entirely sure about the John Grisham.

Miranda said...

Ha ha. You know the "trashy ones we've bought since"...uh huh. Oh and I blame all those on Husband

Jules said...

Oh gosh! I would have had such a hard time leaving most of my things behind. I know that it's kind of freeing, but still...... it would have been hard for me. Books, especially, to me are sometimes well-loved friends and so hard to leave behind.

Miranda said...

I know, Jules, it was really really hard. But also liberating in a funny kinda way.

Miranda said...

I know, Jules, it was really really hard. But also liberating in a funny kinda way.