Tuesday, July 15, 2008

On happiness and all that







I was on the plane the other day and read a 90 year old’s secrets to a happy life. It involved a lot of splashing your face with cold water - when angry, jealous etc. I shall have to try this. My fave was never going out the house without talcum powder on your face.





Anyway, got me thinking and here is my very own (and I pinched a couple of hers). I know, I’m probably not qualified to write my own, but here - from my wise country bumpkin 32 year old eyes.


1) Get over it
2) Be kind to waiters
3) Wash your own underwear
4) Learn people’s names
5) Don’t gossip
6) Give gifts
7) Don’t let guilt in the door (unless you’ve done something really bad, of course)
8) Smile at strangers (unless they look really creepy!)
9) Seek out the peculiar





10) Accept apologies
11) Say thank you for this day every morning as you wake up. And for each meal. Just in your head is fine!
12) Get a pet, if you can
13) Have flowers in the house




14) See things from others’ point of view. Be compassionate
15) It could be worse
16) Take the stairs
17) Work to live, don’t live to work
18) Spend some time every day outdoors. Appreciate nature
19) Laugh laugh laugh, its all a game
20) The positive exists. Find it

21) Stop. Look. Breathe. Smile
22) Don’t take yourself so bloody seriously

Which is, I fear, what I’m doing right now so I’d better stop.

Be happy.






7 comments:

Janelle said...

ah loved this! man. easy peasy eh??? jeez...but most excellent reminders, i say. love you. xx janelle

Miranda said...

Easy peasy!! THANKS! I thought it may be a bit 'oh so what'. Thanks, doll, see you tomorrowxx love you kabisa

pam said...

I love yr happy remedies and especially the pics - hilarious. Especially I like it that I know that they are laughing at seka theatre..seka = laughter as translation after all..

Jules said...

That was a really lovely post. Where did you take your crowd pictures? They are wonderful.

Mud in the City said...

Thanks Miranda - it is worth being reminded of the simplicity of things sometimes. And I too love these images - pure, unadulterated happiness! We could all do with more of a focus on that.

Miranda said...

Jules and Mud. Thanks! Just gone back to check comments and here these two lovely ones! I took these pics of audience members at some of our performances (www.seka-educational-theatre.com)

Miranda said...

Jules and Mud. Thanks! Just gone back to check comments and here these two lovely ones! I took these pics of audience members at some of our performances (www.seka-educational-theatre.com)