Sunday, November 23, 2008

Babe in the woods




My mother got a phone call the other morning from Abraham saying “Miranda, Pam, we have a baby nkuku here please come and get it!” A nkuku is a chicken, so my mother was thinking, okaaaay, that’s weird. Oh well, I’ll go up and see what’s going on. Turns out it is not a nkuku it’s a PUKU. A darling gorgeous antelope that’s not found in many places in Africa.

This morning we heard a commotion in the bush out across the dambo. Elephants trumpeting and going crazy all morning. And then a few hours later this teeny tiny wobbly-legged puku came tottering across the dambo. Could be that there were lions across there that killed its mother.



So if you know me or if you’ve read this post you’ll know that I have had my fair share (and then some) rearing baby animals. And somewhere buried in the dark cobwebby recesses of my storeroom is a biscuit tin full of baby bottles, special teats, syringes, droppers and all sorts of baby feeding paraphernalia – ranging from stuff for the smallest mouse in the whole wide world (which occur here – the babies are the size of fat ticks!) to birds, to antelope to leopards to elephants.




So. Out came the trusty box, on went the water to boil, out came the milk to warm up in went the feeding kit to sterilize. My mother and I laughing all the while at how many times we had done this. The up every few hours in the night for feeding, the trying really hard not to get too attached for the first few days until the danger period is over. How many times our ragged hearts have broken over these small creatures.




So it has imprinted on us, following us around, has found a small little nookie in my mother’s kitchen where it likes to sleep. My mother has been renovating and the floor is out but that’s good because at least it is rough and it doesn’t slip and slide on the shiny cement floor. Although a worry is that there is no gauze on the windows yet and a leopard might jump in and steal it. I hope not!

Anyway, so there you are. Our excitement for the day. For the next few days. Hopefully for the next few years….
Posted by Picasa

24 comments:

family affairs said...

How lovely - looked back at your other post too - that's quite a menagerie you had (is that the right word? Or does that mean a threesome?) Lx

Angela said...

Oh, with your experience you`ll see it through! It is so sweet! Those eyes! I would love to have a puku, too! Shall I send you curtains?

Lori ann said...

Oh my god, i felt like jumping right through my computor to pet this lovely little puku, and help feed too. You must be soooo happy for this experiance again Miranda, I read your Dads book recently,you are the Mother Teresa to all the animals!Bless your heart.Good luck little puku!
xx

Dumdad said...

How cute! (I thought of adding "and the puku is sweet too" but decided against it).

Chimera said...

What a gorgeous creature! I have some old black and white shots of me feeding a young ..ermm..think it was ..yep..a kudu. Will blog 'em.
Oh I do hope the wee thing makes it through!
T xx

tam said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Ooh, get the gauze in soon. Geli, I don't think curtains will help!

Word veri is 'dimpie'.... sounds look a good name, yeah?

Mud in the City said...

That is beautiful! What a lucky creature to stumble across you in the wilds of Africa.

The word verification today is "Imousi" - which almost sounds like it could be it's name!

Miranda said...

Family Affairs - I did indeed have quite a menagerie (as opposed the the other thing!)

Geli - Yes, very sweet but as Tam says, the curtain won't stop a leopard!

Lori - haha. Funny that you read my dad's book. The puku is indeed very cute. Hope it lives.

Dumdad - hahahaha. Had to be said!

Tanvi - ooh yes post it post it

Tam. ya. Dimpie. I like it!

Mud - or Imousi - I like that too! Dimpie Imousi haha.

Val said...

sweeet mannnnn! lucky it stumbled into your lives...nice pic of Pam too
xx

Rob (Inukshuk Adventure) said...

Ah bless! what a delightful little thing. I wish it well and hope you enjoy Dimpie Imousi for years to come.

Dumdad said...

An award for you to collect over at my place.

French Fancy said...

What a beautiful creature and how lovely of you to become a 'mummy' to so many needy animals.

Also congrats on your dumdad award :)

CC said...

What a very luck little puku to find you. I wish the "baby" and you a very happy ending.

drNO said...

soo cute...
how lucky for the puku to find u...

p/s arrived here thru the black box :)

tam said...

oh come on hurry up and make another post already. whats the matter wif you?
Come oooonnnn!

Wandering Jay said...

The little puku and all the other animal toddlers are lucky to have you as its caretaker. I could only dream of that time when i will be able to pet and take care of one in the wild. Your blog is fun and offers a totally different perspective on the environment we are in.

Miranda said...

Val - ya very sweet. Pam's got it full time now as I'm heading back to Tz!

Rob - thank you, me too!

Dumdad - oooooh thanks!!

French Fancy, CC, drNO - welocome and thanks for the visit. I'll pop over to yours juuust now...

Tam - agh, bored of my posts. All feel so blah! Okay then I'll do one tomorrow. Probably maybe...

Wandering Jay - thanks for the visit again and the encouragement!

I WILL post again soon!!

tam said...

Your posts are NOT blah! Your window on the world is totally unique, and always uplifting and entertaining because it comes from YOU and you have a singular take on reality!
Come on man, snap out of it!!
I want to hear about all the dynamics with the actors, and the radio play you guys made, and what impact the Zawa work has had on the community, and how are little George and Victor, and who got stuck in the mud. Come on, Mrs Rashid, get with it!
And Simon's inventions post lion king.

Mud in the City said...

Wakey, wakey! Where are you? You are being MISSED!

Val said...

Miranda - where are you? even if its sugar same, its never THE same! you cant just clam up like this!! come back.....miss you xx

Jill of All Trades said...

Just found your blog and will be following. It is beautiful and exciting and I love the animals. Thank you.

http://reluctantmemsahib.wordpress.com said...

how very sweet. we had a dikdik once. a tiny abandoned baby. he piled in with my labrador and her pups and suckled from her - one slender little dainty thing alongside fat wriggling puppies. amazing. later he followed me everywhere, into the kitchen where he butted my heels until i paid some attention; he liked butter. we called him rosemary for he slept beneath a rosemary bush in the herb garden. i hope we didnt'give him an gender crisis? he didn't seem to mind.

Miranda said...

reluctant memsahib - that is so sweeeet. Amazing that he suckled from the dog!

Jill of all trades - thanks for the visit! Heading over to yours now...

Val - oh okay then! Thanks!

Mud - haha! Thanks for the shove, I'm back, I'm back!

Tam - you are too kind. Thanks for the topics. More later! xx

spacedlaw said...

Such a cute creature.