Friday, December 12, 2008

Sevens

The lovely mud has tagged me so here goes:

7 Things I Must Do Before My Parents Arrive

In my case 7 things I must do before my parents-in-law arrive. And they have already. On Tuesday.

I got married last year in December and at the last minute they couldn’t make it as mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer and not allowed to travel. All clear now though and this is their first trip to visit us since we moved to Tanzania. So it is a Christmas visit as well as a trip to Zanzibar to see where we got married etc.

So 7 things I should have done before they came on Tuesday

1. Buy furniture (well, bought a small table, that’s as much as we could manage! Borrowed the rest)
2. Ask them to bring champagne duty free (done, yea!)
3. Book trip to Serengeti and Zanzibar (done)
4. House train the new kitten (ah, not yet. Is that actually possible?)
5. Print off wedding pictures (one year late but yes, done finally!)
6. Oh bollocks, thanks for reminding me – buy presents. Aaaah! (Not yet done)
7. Find a tree (not managed I have looked and looked. When I lived in the bush we’d just go and find a pretty piece of driftwood or cut down a small thorn tree and decorate it with different sprayed pods. But I can’t do that here in this wee town and can’t find anything appropriate. Someone at the nursery tried to sell me one but it was only about 30cm. Maybe in about 4 years it would have grown enough?)

7 Things I've been Doing Instead Of Preparing For Christmas

1. Playing with the kitten
2. Flitting off to Zambia for work
3. Trying to get back from Zambia despite canceled flights
4. Laughing hysterically
5. Hiding
6. Sitting in snarly fishing-line-tangled traffic
7. Swearing

7 Things I Can't Do This Christmas

1. Swear
2. Find a tree. See above!
3. Eat Turkey. We’ll be in Zanzibar eating lobster instead. Suits me fine!
4. Fight with the baboons. Woohoo!
5. See snow. Coz that would be a little worrying
6. Wear a silly hat. Please please don’t make me
7. Fart. I will of course but not in front of the in-laws!

7 Christmas Wishes

Ah you know, the usual. World peace, compassion, understanding and forgiveness. But second best:
1. That my friend Janine gets better
2. That my sis and her gorgeous beau have a happy happy life together. I get it now, I do
3. That we can all remember to laugh at ourselves a little more, even when the going gets tough
4. That we remember to stay positive and that things could be worse, they really could
5. That all those that have just been made redundant in my corner of the globe cope okay. And everywhere else in the world too
6. That next year is even better than last for all my blogging friends (including those I have yet to discover!)
7. That ‘that secret issue’ goes really well and relatively painlessly!

7 Things I Say As Christmas Approaches

1. Must buy presents
2. Must buy presents
3. Oooh we’re going to Zanzibar
4. Must buy presents
5. Zanzibar here we come!
6. Bollocks, what presents am I going to get people?
7. Ah whatever, I’ll think of something to get them. Maybe in Zanzibar

7 Celebrities I'd Invite For Christmas Dinner

Do I have to? I was hoping for a quiet ego-stress-free time. Okay let’s think.

1. Billy Connolly for the laughs and the accent
2. Kenneth Kaunda, first president of Zambia. To play his guitar and tell us tales of Saddam Hussein
3. Bono so that he can discover Janelle and get her a recording contract
4. Mark Ramprakash. For the eye candy
5. Judy Dench - she seems nice and capable of helping with the hosting
6. Kristin Scott Thomas coz she seems really nice, doesn’t she?
7. And maybe a very quick appearance by George W just for entertainment value. Stir things up a little. I think he would be quite fun to throw into the mix. Not for long, mind

Do you think they’ll all get along?

7 Favourite Festive Foods

We’ve never been a massively traditional family, doing the whole Christmas thing in all it’s splendour. Partly I suppose because we lived in the bush where it was virtually impossible to get tomatoes let alone turkey and brandy butter and Christmas pudding and partly because my parents were hippies trying to shun all that stuff. And for that I thank them.

I got my first taste of real Christmas food though, when we got new managers in to the safari lodge where we lived. I must have been ten, I guess. Ginny was a genius, I have no idea how she did it but we had the whole Christmas shebang. For the guests at the lodge of course but there was no FHB for the first time ever!* Turkey, Christmas pudding (is that the one with the coin in?) everything. She even got Jeremiah the head waiter to dress up as Father Christmas and give out presents to all the staff’s kids. Who where absolutely numb with fear. They literally just stood there rooted to the spot and BELLOWED!

The point of this? Oh that I’m not really sure what proper festive food is. Things that always seem to be around at Christmas that I love:

Brandy butter. Number one. I might start having this every day of the year actually. On my toast in the morning.

Marzipan.

All that booze

Ah you know what, all of it. Bring it on.

7 Other Bloggers Who Can Play Festive Seven

1. Val
2. Tam
3. Dumdad
4. Family Affairs
5. Angela
6. Reya
7. Lori
(if you can be bothered)


*FHB Family Hold Back. Let the guests eat first. Not enough of that so can’t eat/drink it. My grandfather was horrified if we ever asked for a coke (not often!) He would describe in detail the 3 day journey that bottle of coke took to get here, all along the bumpy road, in a truck especially booked to bring the coke for the paying guests not us. True. I still see Chitumbi the barman with his serious frown saying “No coke staff”. To this day coke seems such a guilty luxury! Makes it taste so much better.

7 comments:

tam said...

that seems like a riotous party. I'd love to see Judy Dench take on Dubya. Or Billy for that matter. Have a great time sis. And yeah, do the shopping in stone town. Vanilla pods. Yummy. And clove soap.

Val said...

oh my word this is the biggest meme ever! will give it a bash...wow - yours is so funny :-) love the famous party - ask Billy to wear his famous banana boots. Zanz for christmas sounds heavenly.

Mud in the City said...

Great party - and Zanzibar lobster? Sigh. That sounds go exciting!

Not much chance of snow though.

Dumdad said...

I'm exhausted just reading your Sevens, let alone having a go!

Good list of guests. I might add Ricky Gervais.

Now, I must get going on writing my Christmas cards...

spacedlaw said...

Aaargh. You're reminding me. Buying presents.
Crumbs.
I hate giftmas.

family affairs said...

OOh how exciting - thanks will try Lx

Reya Mellicker said...

Christmas in Zanzibar? With lobster? And brandy butter on toast?

Y U M !!!

Happy anniversary, btw!