Saturday, April 18, 2009

Brain rot

The termites have been at my brain again. Nibbling away at the lovely polished wood until nothing is left but clumps of clay that’s been excreted from their delicate little bottoms. Pants. I hate it when that happens. They just get in everywhere. Anything left still long enough gets chewed up by their busy little jaws. You think you’ve packed up something safe and secure and a few weeks later you open the trunk to find there’s nothing left but crumbling red dirt and a few scraps of chewed print.

So I’m trying to write a new post, people, I really am, but salt water leaked in and rusted all the cogs together; all the delicate mechanisms have disintegrated and flaked off into a pile of pretty but jumbled, sharp bits. Don’t touch you might get a gash. And then tetanus and that’s just ugly.

The pan has dried up leaving a sulphery salty crust on the top, scribbled with a few bird prints but nothing more substantial than that. Maybe the odd hyena track – ooh look one sunk in here, nearly got stuck, but even she managed to get out and has moved on to tend to her sweet little brown pups in their den. Nothing else to report.

Okay, enough already – you get the idea, no?

14 comments:

Janelle said...

spray doom down your ears...? its called sponge brain darlin'... i say this is a fine piece of writing! love ya and see you later XXX j

Dumdad said...

I know the feeling. Nice bit of bloggery, though, from one with an alleged brain meltdown.

Miranda said...

J - Oh good idea, or fendona...see you soon xxx

DD - why thank you, thank you very much! The meltdown is there though, but hopefully not permanent! Time will tell, time will tell.

Mia Watts said...

You are on quite a metaphorical roll, my dear. Don't stop. It's intoxicating.

"The termites have been at my brain again. Nibbling away at the lovely polished wood until nothing is left but clumps of clay that’s been excreted from their delicate little bottoms."

Loved this.

Angela said...

And if you write not about yourself but of your sister`s wedding who HAS STILL NOT TOLD US A WORD? How large is your waist? Cheers from Auntie.

spacedlaw said...

A little tropical surrealism. I hope you have not developed one of those atrocious fevers.

Reya Mellicker said...

All the energy in your body is pointing inwards and downwards towards your cute little baby who is ... almost here? Soon, yes?

Yes!

Your brain is NOT rotted!

Lori ann said...

are you nesting yet Mama? these are the days of gathering and pampering, eating well, resting. maybe just pictures? your aunties are curious...
♥♥♥ lori

david mcmahon said...

Sometimes rusty cogs produce creativity to be treasured. I came here from Reulctant Memsahib - and I've enjoyed your writing.

Shiny said...

Fear not. One can never have too many friends, of the termite-variety or other. And they seem to be giving you some fabulous scribblings. Yey! x

Miranda said...

Mia - ah thanks, you are too kind!

Geli - finally Tammy has written a post about her wedding which means that now I can too.....my tummy is big, I'll post some pictures - I'm into the third trimester now!

Spacedlaw - heh heh, no fever yet although you'd think I should have one with an infestation of termites in my skull!

Thank you Reya, yes I suppose that is part of the problem. I'm having such fun with it. Three months to go....

Ah Lori, the nesting will hopefully happen soon. We're actually moving house next weekend so packing boxes right now. And yes pictures. I have so many of those...good idea!

David - wow, thanks for the visit!

Shiny - true, the termites are quite good company, I just wish they were a bit quieter sometimes....that incessant MUNCHING....

Mud in the City said...

Your brain might be feeling rubbery - but you can still write!

Miranda said...

Ah thanks mud. Your legs may be feeling rubbery but hyopefully you can still run! Good luck

Mud in the City said...

P.S. Tagged you!