Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My J Friends



Somehow I have a proliferation of really good friends whose names begin with J.

My first best-friend-for-life was Johnny. We learned the alphabet together, we shared a birthday, we purpled ourselves with Mulberries, made nests and sat on stones pretending to be chickens. We fished, got soya beans stuck up our noses, trapped elephants and had some special bond that has somehow stayed. He was my soul mate, in the truest sense of the word. He was my first J-friend. He’s gone now, to hang out on the other side - killed by an elephant almost 9 years ago. But he is still my special best-friend-for-life and I remember him always.

Janelle. Is family really, although not officially. She keeps me sane in this strange jungle we live in. Our souls are from the same place and there ain’t no-one can take that away from us. Our families know each other from the sepia days and we slot into a groove that is pebble-worn and comfortable yet crazy and out-there. There are no words really to describe the marvelous Janelle. Read her blog rather, you’ll know what I mean. She is songstress, cowgirl, master of words. To me she is sister, aunt, confidante, friend. And then some.

Janine. I first met Janine through my sister as a 17 year old, a wide-eyed elephant shrew pushed into the real world and left blinking and stuttering. One of the first times I met her we went out to a pub – a group of us, all girls – and we somehow got into a bar brawl with a group of bigoted young boys who took exception to the high number of lesbians in the group. Janine, whose girlfriend at the time was being groped by one of the charming young men, hit the guy over the head with her arm that was in plastercast. It was the beginning of a rich and joyful friendship that has lasted. Janine - always there for me, fists up and reeling when I banged on her door in the middle of the night when being followed by a strange and scary man, Janine - late night pool and beers and too many happy memories to fit in here. We shared Ong for a while. Ong who was not really a dog but a smiling creature of strange and wonderous talents. I saw her the other day at my sister’s wedding. She looks the same but different. We haven’t seen each other for a handful or more years but as with proper friends we slipped back into our old familiarity. I love that chick and I always will.

Jonathan rocks. He made me realize that not all white Zimbos are long-sock-wearing mustachioed red-necks with a heavy leaning toward bigotry. Au contraire! We met at university, shared Classics notes and late night cramming sessions as well as much booze and many a war cry of “LET’S GET WRECKED!’ I borrowed his car and left it to roll down a hill (by mistake of course) into someone else’s car, and still our friendship survived… I try and catch up with him and the other posse of rotters whenever I’m in his part of the world he in mine and we slip back into that same “LET’S GET WRECKED” ness each time we meet. He came and stayed with us as part of his honeymoon. He is now off and traveling and blogging here.

Julie and Jacquie came into my life later. Not Julie-and-Jacquie, you understand. Just Julie. And then Jacquie. Crazy fun bestest people who you meet for the first time and go “Hey I KNOW you!” I haven’t known them for as long as the other J-best-friends-for-life but they rock and I feel like I’ve known them forever. Julie and I mourned for Johnny together and that’s a hard bond to break. And Jacquie? Well, she’s just Jacquie.

11 comments:

Dumdad said...

And now me: my real name begins with a J!

SafariB said...

SUPER!!! Fab blog. Yay for Js! :)

I was known as BJ way back then when I was a kid - J being my middle name.. ;)

And I almost nearly began with a J but my sister refused to have a sister named J..n so I got a B instead...

Which was a pain as it rhymes with Fidget and stuff like that..

Love... hugs B xx

SafariB said...

does that mean I almost, nearly could have got into your fan club!? ;)

Miranda said...

DD - heh heh. You are my best friend for eva!

SafariB - almost nearly, my dear!

Janelle said...

ah darling. THANK-YOU...i love you so much and MISS you...already. hah. stay safe...lotslotslots xxxx j

Angela said...

This is Geli speaking, fortunately NOT prounounced like Jelly, but still close to you, even if VERY FAR AWAY. I have known you even before you were born, and that counts! I love you, my niecy, and also the little one who now I ALSO know before it is born! Welcome, darling (J?)!

Mud in the City said...

Talking of friends.... how can I email you to see about meeting up in Jo'burg?
x

karen said...

Lovely J-post & good to hear about some of those lovely friends!!

Your Zambian post made me smile. there are so many silly things here that make me want to "shriek with joy", too, I know exactly how you feel!

Val said...

J's are fine friends and you have a good selection....hmm some name choosing in the offing??xx

family affairs said...

From now on you need to call me Juicy Lx

Jeannie said...

Oh, lovely post to obviously lovely friends! I adore J names (pretty much had to start off liking them, being one!) but now I'm married to a Jonathan and have a James...well, you can't beat them.

You can join them, though - baby No 2 didn't get a J name as we thought it was maybe a bit much. So he is Nicholas, and now I love N names too :-)