Monday, May 25, 2009

There's something about Zambia



You know when you're right next to a generator, or drill or some persistent loud noise and eventually you don't notice it? But when it stops suddenly everything relaxes and sighs? That's how I feel when I come to Zambia.

I stepped off the plane yesterday and everything just smiled. I belong here. I feel at peace. I'm happy where I am now, pleased we made the decision to move but whenever I come back I feel all jiggly and bouncy - in a good way. I spoke Chinyanja to the women at immigration and they said "You must be from the Eastern Province - you accent is very deep." This is good to hear because right now I'm getting my Swahili and Chinyanja all muddled up and its driving me nuts.

I'm staying with my dad now and I went for a walk down to the bottom of his plot yesterday evening and saw two of the most ridiculously small coin sized field mice busy busy busy going about their busyness. They made me shriek with joy. And this morning little duiker spoor and mice tracks so small they fit into my ring. This is my favourite pastime, looking at tracks and signs. One doesn't get to do it much in the city. I am an anorak.

12 comments:

family affairs said...

Can you please make sure you're there when I come with my father to Zambia at the end of July? Did I tell you we're going to be in the Luwangwe Valley (sp) for 4 days with one night in Lusaka? Really hoping to get Janelle to come Lx

Miranda said...

Ah I would SO love to be in Luangwa when you're there but I'll bloody be off having a baby. Pah! My mother and uncle (Norman Carr's children) still live there though so I'll get them to seek you out!

LoveANewIdea said...

Love the photo of the picnic on the jeep.
PS - the cloud in the first photo looks like a muscle-bound mermaid laying on its back with its arms and tail up, ready to catch something.

Miranda said...

LoveANewIdea - oh yes, so it does! I always looked thought it looked like Puff the Magic Dragon

SafariB said...

Oh man... I so know that feeling Miranda!! "Home". Nothing like it. Very Jealous!!!!!!!!! And I'm still laughing at you getting your Swahili muddled with Chinyanja... funny.

Big hugs xoxo

Angela said...

Moni, mo li bwangi? Nde funa madzi a kumwa, or what were you drinking? Sorry my accent is obviously a bit mixed with German! Not quite the deep Eastern Province drawl. How lovely you look! And I hope your dad is writing me for my birthday, and telling me all his many latest news! With pictures. Oh yes, the Luangwa Valley, Kapani and Chibembe... Oh, by the way, did you find my/Pam`s letter in your mailbox?? Hugs from Geli

Dumdad said...

How cool to be able to speak those languages.

Janelle said...

yeah baby. that's home for ya... xxx j

Millennium Housewife said...

Lovely post, beautifully written, thanks. MH

Miranda said...

SafariB - Chinyanja and Swahili, its driving me crazy! And then I get back to Tz and have the same problem in reverse...aish

Geli - I am a naughty naughty niece for not letting you know that I DID indeed receive your letter (Pam brought it to Tammy's wedding). Thank you SO much, great to have that insight! I'll write properly soon, I promise!

DD - it is. The Chinjyanja is easy as I learned it growing up but the Swahili keeps tripping me up still...but I'll keep at it.

J - it sho' is

MH - really?? Well thanks!! And thanks for the visit

family affairs said...

We're staying at Norman Carr's lodge! Lx

Gillian said...

I was born and grew up in Ghana, W Africa, and your first paragraph-and-a-half's description encapsulates it perfectly. I love your writing - the description of craving and enjoying eating dried milk powder made me shriek inside with recognition and delight =)