Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Travels through memories past - more old pics



from grass house to wooden house. Our next home. Dry season and rainy season. My mother still lives in this house

So after the sepia Chibembe days (last post) we moved to a more permanent camp. This one not on the banks of the hungry river, but on a quiet blue-green ox-bow lagoon. Full of water and lurking crocodiles in the rains, green and puku studded in the dry season. Chibembe has almost entirely been eaten by the river now - all that remains are a few crumbling, stubborn structures, when we-ing about the Good Old Days.

We moved to Kapani when I was about 7 or 8 and stayed.

This valley is home. My DNA is scattered amongst the mopane trees, soars up with the crowned cranes at dusk hollering 'Owani, owani!', floats out over the river into the quiet dark ebony groves and digs iteslf into the fine glittery sand of the dried up river beds. My ghost will surely hang out here when I die.

School, Kapani






The guest houses. What am I WEARING??

14 comments:

family affairs said...

OOOH I'm getting very excited about my trip there in the summer now - will your mother be there?
Lx

SafariB said...

I had one of those too!!!!! Mine was also blue.. I was SO proud of it! It was from AMERICA!!! :o !!!

Oh Miranda just love love love all these photies down memory lane. More more please!! :)

Miranda said...

FA - what are your dates again? My mother should be there, my uncle too. It's changed a little over the years but not hugely!

SafariB - hahaha! Was it hideous towelling material?

Dumdad said...

Is that a baby warthog?

Miranda said...

DD - yes, her name was Widdle

tam said...

i think i had a red one. I definitely had red satin running shorts with white piping. What became of Widdle? Did she have to be removed from polite society?

Miranda said...

Oh Tam, those red satin running shorts. Oh man! Widdle? I forget - probably!

spacedlaw said...

A baby warthog for pet? How cool is that?

Val said...

this memory lane stuff....eeish! it tugs the heart strings for sure!!! keep them coming please - loving these pics xxx

SafariB said...

yes it was blue towelling!! And had two red strawberries on the front! Ha ha. I''m still laughing! Am sure if I hunt hard enough, can find a pick of me wearing it!! ha haha. Funny funny.

Red satin shorts!! oh wow! I'm jealous!!

Angela said...

Is that the very ill-behaved warthog that used to lie in your bed not allowing you to get in, too? Your dad could not stop writing funny letters about it!
Did you get my mail of today? Speaking of memory lane...

LoveANewIdea said...

I am just so in awe of your life growing up...just amazing to me. I mean, really, who has a baby warthog. Love seeing the photos.

Miranda said...

Spacedlaw - yes the warthog was very cool, except she used to try and jump into my bed all muddy...

Val - oh there are plenty more! Maybe I'll space them out a bit though, surely there's only so much one can take?!

SafariB - hahahaha!!! Yes, the strawberries!!!

Geli - yes thats the very one! I did get your e-mail thank you! Very funny!!

LoveANewIdea - ha, the warthog was only one of many. There's a post on all my pets back there in the recesses of the archives!

karen said...

Keep going with these fab photos! I remember my cousin had one of those outfits, and I recall being rather jealous of her!! Love the warthog..