Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The zoo and a baby

I –

Wha -

Ha –

My goodness I don’t know how to begin.

I am speechless

Lying on my chest right now is my baby daughter.

4 days old.

In little clothes that looked impossibly small when she was still in my tummy but are now swimming around her.

I could start at the beginning I guess. Not the BEGINNING beginning, we all know how babies are made…

It all started at the zoo. Actually I’m not sure that’s entirely true but it seems like a good place to start. My 14 year old cousin is visiting from school –on her half term – and we decided to go to the zoo. I like the Joburg zoo. A few things make me sad – the lonely gorilla (his famous companion Max died a few years ago after making history by being shot by a robber who was chased into the gorilla enclosure) and the pacing honeybadger, but there are lots of other animals there who seem fairly content. Who knows. Anyway, we were at the zoo and did a LOT of walking. We saw lions, polar bears, lemurs, seals and snakes. Crocodiles, red pandas, servals and chimps. It’s a big zoo, there’s a lot to see. So off we went, the four of us (one of us in utero) marvelling at the tigers, chuckling at the baby chimp, laughing at the sign on one of the fences that says “Beware, these birds stab through the fence” No I didn’t go into labour at the zoo, (nor did I get stabbed by a bird). But the next night I had a bloody show. The bloke and I are in a restaurant, having the first of what we think will be ten days of hanging out just the two of us, romantic dinners when we feel like it etc. So I go to the loo and come back wide eyed saying, “I just lost my mucous plug” (gross I know!) “of fuck’ Suddenly I am absolutely terrified! Its fine of course, I’m hardly going to go into labour then and there like in the movies, but we get the checque swiftly anyway, I don’t feel like being crammed in with all these people anymore, all smoking and talking loudly. The fake cheery waiter “what no deserts?” The bloke. Firm. “No. Just. The bill” I phone the midwife. She says not to worry it doesn’t mean its coming NOW but go home, get some sleep, within three days it should happen.

That night I have a few cramps, nothing major. Slept fitfully but enough. The next day we went about our business as usual. 7 in the evening I start getting contractions. Just like period pains, not impossibly sore but enough to keep me awake most of the night. We text the midwife and tell her but say we’ll stay at home and keep her posted. 3 in the morning we decide to d to the birthing centre. The midwife meets us there confirms that yes I’m in labour, but haven’t started dilating yet. Go home, come back later. We go home. Contract all through the morning, at midday we go back to the birthing centre. I’m only 1cm dilated. Bollocks! I shan’t go into details save to say that yes it was bloody sore. It was …well…laborious. But, 32 hours of labour later gave birth to the sweetest gorgeousest girl in the world. 3 in the morning on 4th July. I know most newborns are supposed to look like the last tomato in the fridge and parents will never recognise this about their own child but she really is gorgeous and not the last tomato AT ALL!

So there you have it. We have chosen a good name, I think, and none from the last post!

I would hate to be a new mother bore but I’m sure I will be. And I don’t care.

That’s it for now. More cooing and tweeting soon.

30 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Thirty two hours?

Wow. You are mighty. And she is beautiful (Tam sent me a couple of pics).

Congratulations! Wow.

Rob Inukshuk said...

Mazel tov to you and the man on the arrival of your little bundle of joy. Thanks so much for telling us all about the events, with just the right amount of details.

Janelle said...

yes. i'll vouch for her gorgeousness! she really really is the freshest most beautiful tomato in the pile. i'd pick her anyday. and you are The Most Creative Goddess Of The Moment....love you miranda. xxx j

Angela said...

Somehow I am RELATED to that little new woman there, and aren`t I proud?!! I loved the pictures with her little fists, and the proud daddy. Or did I imagine him?
You heard that yours is having a newborn cousin, just one night younger? Tam said they must meet one day, and I think so too! Bestest of luck to all of you!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I love reading your blog - look forward to hearing gorgeous girl's name!

Lisa said...

Congratulations!!! I'm delighted for you!

Jill of All Trades said...

CONGRATULATIONS....Little girls are such fun. My little babies are 24 and nearly 30 now. Congratulations again.

Jeannie said...

Congratulations! And well done! And... congratulations! And again and again!!

Shiny said...

Oh, wow! This post made me blub the most beautiful, fat joyous tears. Well done, you clever, clever thing. It is all just too exciting for words really. Please send me pics too! So much love to you all xxx

Val said...

clever clever you!! i am so happy for you all - she is beautiful and gorgeous and so much more - not a tomato at all!!! tell us more more - i want to hear bout it all
hugs and big love all round xxx

Mud in the City said...

So, so wonderful! Will email too. V glad about the positive tomato situation - she sounds delicious.

Hugs and kisses!

Mud.
x

Dumdad said...

Huge congratulations from all of us in Paris.

And your daughter is a Cancerian like me (my birthday's tomorrow).

What have you named her? I'm going to hazard a guess: Tomato.

If Gwyneth Paltrow can call her daughter Apple then I don't see why you can't call yours Tomato!

Chimera said...

Wonderful and marvellous and just huge congratulations and jumping up and down (tho' gently so as not to wake her..)
tanvi xxx

Lori ann said...

OH darling Miranda Welcome to the Club, Motherhood I mean!! Now you know what it's about heh? I'm just so very thrilled for you and your dear husband...

Welcome to the world baby girl!!

And,you cannot bore Auntie's with Baby news. It's just not possible.

love,
very excited Lori

Marilynne said...

Welcome to your sweet little daughter. Try to enjoy every minute. They grow up so fast.

Reluctant Memsahib said...

oh my! Well done you. How clever. and 32 hours. Good grief. My last came in 45 minutes. Like a rugby ball. With two midwives standing at the end of the bed. The last tomato in the fridge ... it's a fair analogy. Although, of course, our own babies never, ever look red and wrinkled. They are always beautiful. As I know your daughter is.

Stay well. Get some rest. and we all look forward to hearing what she's called ... x

naive artist said...

I am a fan of your blog for many months now just never commented but now i can't help it. I am really happy for you.

Congratulations! and 4th of July as a birthday is great.

Cheers!

Miss Disaster said...

I picked quite a time to drop in unannounced through the black boxes widget, didn't I?

Sorry to barge in on a new mom without even an invitation, but wow, congratulations!

And I don't want to burden you with unwanted advice (so feel free to skip this part) but I do want to say that, if your baby sleeps as little as mine did, you will be very very tired. Frantically tired.

But it will pass; eventually, all kids learn to sleep. And so you will eventually get to sleep again too, I *promise.*

Just hang in there, and call in the reinforcements if necessary so you can get a nap now and then. And if your baby sleeps well, yay for you!!

I wish you all the best.

Laura said...

Congratulations!

L x

Lizzy Frizzfrock said...

Congratulations!!! Born on the 4th of July... of course that doesn't mean anything in your part of the world, but here it would be big!
Hope to hear her name & see some photos in the future. Enjoy your new baby girl!
... and Angela is a grandmother too! How neat is all this!

mumplustwo said...

Congratulations. Miranda! Have been reading your blog for a while and love it. Never got round to commenting before but think now is a very good time! Wishing you much joy with your sweet baby girl - you are blessed. I'm living in London but for a long time I lived right across the road from Jo'burg Zoo!! ... used to lie in bed at night and listen to the lions roaring (and imagine that I was in the bush, not slap bang in the middle of Jo'burg!) x

Zimdian said...

Yaaaaayyyyyy!!!! Congratulations to you both, well, all three I should say! We got cut off on chat the other day (my internet connection is rubbish here) so mokorokoto!!! (That's Shona for well done but you probably know that!) Love to you all and glad you swerved some of the names on the list (I imagine the novelty of Uranus would have worn off PDQ!).

cm said...

Lawks! Congratulations my dear! Love, Craig

Jessica said...

Many blessings to your household!
Your post brought me back to the birth of my own daughter, nearly seven years ago, a stunning moment, evident by my mouth agape and her sturdy little chest against mine.
Again, all the best to you.

family affairs said...

HOORAY! That's brilliant news. Aren't you clever xxxx Lx

family affairs said...

ps I know you have FAR more important things to think about but I just wanted to check that you're OK with me writing about your grandfather pre my trip to the Valley! Lx

Tessa said...

Yowza! Happy days! Congratulations. Having a beautiful tomato baby girl is heavenly...they grow up in the most delightful way. Believe me, I have two very fine tomatoes.

karen said...

Congrats Miranda, on the safe arrival of your lovely baby tomato! xx

spacedlaw said...

That was a loooong labour time.
Worth it, of course.

Miranda said...

Oh all my dear friends thanks for all the comments. I lurve comments. I started replying to them one by one a couple of times but internet connection kept kicking me off so got impatient with that so a group thank you to you all will have to suffice. xx