Saturday, August 15, 2009

Miranda who?

Okay, seriously, time to stop staring at the lovely daughter and write another post. What to say though? Urgh. I wanted to write a witty, light and funny post about our journey back to Tanzania. The 117 kilos of luggage, the pram wrapped up in cardboard and bin liners that looked suspiciously like a dead body, the raised eyebrows, the cooing immigration officers, the perils of changing a nappy in an aircraft toilet, the strange masked men checking for swine flu on arrival at Kilimanjaro airport. But oh woe, my brain, my brain! I'd heard that when you're pregnant something happens to your memory and brain but seriously, this? Now? Like nothing else. And I don't think people (read husband) actually really believes that its true. Its a phenomenon though, right? Ah whatever. So forgive the ramblings, maybe one day I'll manage to write that witty light and funny post, but right now is no possible.

So in short, since the last post:

1 - We had all the grandparents to stay to coo at the baby, from Zambia, from England. Had numerous other visitors from the lovely sister to the beautiful cousin, to the lovely sister's gorgeous best friend(s), the witty friend from University (and fellow blogger Fush and Chips) with his delightfully crazy pug Stankie...and so on...sometimes all at once. More than once I caught myself singing under my breath, "welcome to house of fun da da da da dum". It was delightful to see everyone but at times pretty head-explodingly chaotic.

2 - We flew back from South Africa with one baby, one pram (that looked like said dead body), one car seat, three (big) check in bags, three items of hand luggage (four if you include the baby!), one calm husband and one grimacing but deep breathing mother. I was dreading it, but it was fine. Better than fine in fact. And all because of this thing

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, it has changed my life. It. Is. Fantastic. The baby gets in and sleeps immediately, my hands are free, its sooo comfy, you can breastfeed without people oggling at your boobs (which I don't mind, but husband does!). And so on. Its just one long piece of cloth no straps, no buckles. If you have a baby and you don't have one of these, get one. Seriously. Okay, I'll shut up now, I tend to go on and on about it!



3 - We got home to our lovely little house on the hill that is being buffeted by strong winds, to a full fridge, thanks to our lovely neighbours, a fat and happy cat, and my dear aunt and cuzzes staying next door for a few days. Its good to be home.

4 - Heard the news that Iwomba's bones were found so they were able to have a proper funeral for him.

5 - Going to Nairobi tomorrow for 6 week jabs and check ups and nappy buying!

So dear friends, apologies for the bla ramblings, and more soon, I hope!

Oh and thanks for all the lovely comments. I've been utterly crap at commenting, and replying to mine, but have been reading and smiling. xx

14 comments:

family affairs said...

Oh that looks SO comfortable....very baby animal pouch, heartbeat thing....perfect for you both. That is VG about Iwomba who I read about in the book....

Lxx

Val said...

very marsupial that thing! and good they found Iwombo. so glad the flight went easily.. hehe hugs to you all xx

rosie p said...

Miranda - was sitting in office reading your last couple of blogs and getting very weepy and emotional. Tried writing you somehting, but stupid effing computer system managed to chew my words whilst i tired to log onto this system - such a FLATFOOT!! - so sod it - cant write it again - suffice to say i miss being around all of this incredaible stuff, and im rather in awe, slightly jealous, and wishing you were nearer ..and love to Bwana M as well ...xxx rosie p

Lisa said...

You have wonderful family and lovely neighbors! I'm glad your homecoming was so great!

Also, I read that your brain actually shrinks while pregnant, and boy, do I believe it. Apparently it takes a couple months to get back to normal. My husband is eagerly awaiting this development.

karen said...

Great to hear that you are home safely, luggage, baby and all! Please do keep on updating us!

Mud in the City said...

Safely home to the top of the hill - what good news! And doesn't she look cosy.

Looking forward to hearing more from you soon, when the brain returns to somewhat normal!

(BTW - my Jo'burg friend is keen to hear how you rate the birthing centre you used. She is v well - and already getting rather excited!)
x

JoeinVegas said...

Sounds like you did quite well flying. I'm sure the US security checks would have you stripped naked and all.

Angela said...

Aaaah, this is EXACTLY the thing that Annika is using for Caroline-baby! There M√ôST be some connection between the two, both happily snoozing along in their cloths! When can they meet?!!

The Dotterel said...

Ahhh!

Shiny said...

Oh, she looks so cosy and comfy! I'm sure you're pleased to be home, I'm sorry I missed meeting her in Joburg... next time xx

Miranda said...

Shiny - Yes, next time for sure. xxx tickle your nephews for me.

The Dottorel - indeed!!

Geli - oh I'm so glad Annika has one too. They are second cousins after all!

JoInVegas - yes I'm glad I didn't have to strip naked!

Mud - its so good to be home. The birthing centre was amazing. I think if I'd been with a doctor and not just a midwife I would definitely have had a cesarian. Will write to said friend and tell her all!

Karen - will do. But tell me if you get bored, okay!

Lisa - congrats on yours! So exciting! Looking forward to the brain returning, although when it does I might just go on pretending

RosieP - we MISS you! Please please please start a blog. You'd be so good at it and its FUN!

Val - its a great thing, I love it!

FA - yes, good about Iwomba, terribly sad but also good. I hate to think of him alone in the bush dying but maybe thats what he wanted. So glad you enjoyed your trip to Luangwa and saw the drama group perform!

Miranda said...

Shiny - Yes, next time for sure. xxx tickle your nephews for me.

The Dottorel - indeed!!

Geli - oh I'm so glad Annika has one too. They are second cousins after all!

JoInVegas - yes I'm glad I didn't have to strip naked!

Mud - its so good to be home. The birthing centre was amazing. I think if I'd been with a doctor and not just a midwife I would definitely have had a cesarian. Will write to said friend and tell her all!

Karen - will do. But tell me if you get bored, okay!

Lisa - congrats on yours! So exciting! Looking forward to the brain returning, although when it does I might just go on pretending

RosieP - we MISS you! Please please please start a blog. You'd be so good at it and its FUN!

Val - its a great thing, I love it!

FA - yes, good about Iwomba, terribly sad but also good. I hate to think of him alone in the bush dying but maybe thats what he wanted. So glad you enjoyed your trip to Luangwa and saw the drama group perform!

Miranda said...

Shiny - Yes, next time for sure. xxx tickle your nephews for me.

The Dottorel - indeed!!

Geli - oh I'm so glad Annika has one too. They are second cousins after all!

JoInVegas - yes I'm glad I didn't have to strip naked!

Mud - its so good to be home. The birthing centre was amazing. I think if I'd been with a doctor and not just a midwife I would definitely have had a cesarian. Will write to said friend and tell her all!

Karen - will do. But tell me if you get bored, okay!

Lisa - congrats on yours! So exciting! Looking forward to the brain returning, although when it does I might just go on pretending

RosieP - we MISS you! Please please please start a blog. You'd be so good at it and its FUN!

Val - its a great thing, I love it!

FA - yes, good about Iwomba, terribly sad but also good. I hate to think of him alone in the bush dying but maybe thats what he wanted. So glad you enjoyed your trip to Luangwa and saw the drama group perform!

Iota said...

Lovely picture. That sling looks very well designed.