Friday, September 11, 2009

Baby Group

Okay, I'm telling you this very quietly, out of the corner of my mouth - I go to Baby Group! Yes, thats with capital letters. And I tried to make the writing small but because I am a techno ape I don't know how to do that.

When I used to see the suburbanite yummy mummies gathering to oggle and coo at each others' babies I must admit I used to vomit a little in my mouth. Who knew I was so judgmental. But as a follow on from our childbirth classes we all meet up every Thursday to well...oggle and coo at each others' babies.

Yesterday we lined them all up on the couch and took a picture. A group of goofy looking drooling babies, some of whom still can't even hold their heads up on their own, all propped up on a snazzy leather sofa, with the bar in the background. They looked like a bunch of drunks, spilling over and leaning on each other for support...maybe you had to be there but it was really pretty funny.

Reminds me of that joke of a door-to-door salesman who knocks on someone's door and a small child answers, a foot-long whisky in one hand and a cigar in the other. The salesman says, in patronizing tones, "Hello, are your parents in?"

The kid looks at the whisky and the cigar, then at the salesman and says, "What the fuck do you think?"

8 comments:

Shiny said...

Oh, I love that joke x

Angela said...

Me too! Where do you come up with such jokes, do you invent them? I bet your baby is the cleverest and holding-her-head-highest of all! But just wait till she also talks back!

Lori ann said...

Your funny. Of course when you turn into a parent you eat most every word (or thought) you had b.c. (before children)
Why wouldn't you want to go see all these bobbly headed babies? how fun! but where is the picture?

Iota said...

Yes, we need to see the picture, for sure.

Val said...

lovely just lovely - thanks for the smiles xx would love to see that photo!

karen said...

Just been catching up.. thanks for deciding to post a pic of your little girl after all - she's gorgeous!

Simply-Mel said...

Had a good chuckle at this post....I was the consumate jugder of parents and parental activities in my BC days. Now 8years later I have been publicly humbled on more occasions than I care to remember!

Miranda said...

Shiny - heh heh, me too!

Geli - I used to be very good at remembering jokes, but I've been out of practice for a while. I'll have to dust them off and see if I can remember them all!

Lori - yes I bet!

Iota - I really wanted to post the pic but then thought the other mothers might get cross with me! I'll ask them if they mind...

Val (and Lori)- heh. I'll try post the pic on facebook

Karen - isn't she just!!

SM - yes, I imagine I have much of that to look forward to. And I shan't be so judgmental in the future!