Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The generosity of friends



I have this friend who lives in DC. She is one of the most generous people I know. We were thrown together in a dusty spot in another time in our lives. We worked and lived together for three years in a cul de sac of a place. And became friends. I haven't seen her for a good few years but on the weekend three huge Fedex boxes scuttled to our doorstep, bursting with goodies for our baby.

You know that scene in Friends where Monica opens all the wedding presents when Chandler is away? That was me. I had these three wonderful, smiling, smelling-of-America boxes looking up at me with the-cat-in-Shrek pleading eyes and I thought, "ah, I'll just open the box, no harm done" So I did. And inside were all these delicious colourful parcels - each item individually and beautifully wrapped in bright tissue paper- and a crinkly yellow one in particular, begging, just BEGGING to be opened. And the baby gal was sitting next to me looking intrigued and egging me on so what could I do? There she was, eyeing out all the pretty colours and was so fascinated by all the rustling and the brightness that I just couldn't stop! Nothing like blaming a three month old heh?

And then a frenzy took over and suddenly I was sitting there waist deep in a pile of pink and yellow and orange tissue paper and a score of beautiful dresses and toys and books scattered around me.

The gal looked at all this, laughed at the duck and the caterpillar and promptly fell asleep.

So my friend has singlehandedly tripled our daughter's wardrobe. I laid out all the stuff on our (not small) bed and took some pics. I meant to take some before and after wardrobe pictures too but forgot! From a couple of dry biscuits and dust to shelves piled high with succulent berries and ice cream.

Thank you T.

10 comments:

family affairs said...

Bloody hell!! Now that IS a generous friend. Good grief and your daughter looks divine Lx

Dumdad said...

Lovely photos - your daughter is an absolute sweetie!

Rob Inukshuk said...

What a wonderful bounty of love and stuff! A great friend indeed. Now what's her email addy, it's going to be Christmas soon....

Janelle said...

ah only fit for the little principessa! so she can look perfect for when grennie gets here...lovely lovely XXX j

Angela said...

Yes, now she can choose from her wardrobe when Oma comes! What an amazing friend. But she surely knows how much you appreciate her beautifully wrapped gifts and her love. Baby is just adorable! Hug her and Pam for me!

karen said...

Sweet photo of the little one with all her pretty things!

Iota said...

How lovely.

I bet she enjoyed it too. Everybody loves buying baby things.

Lori ann said...

Oh my god! how beautiful is your baby girl!?! i see all the clothes and toys, i do, but look at her plopped right in the middle of the whole thing. She could wear a potato sack and still be precious. If your thank you to your sweet friend were just that photo that would be enough! Does your friend read your blog?

JoeinVegas said...

I saw the top photo and wondered if that thing in the middle came in the box too. Strange

Lizzy Frizzfrock said...

So absolutely, completely adorable!