Friday, October 30, 2009

Queen Bee

I love how different cultures perceive beauty.

The other day a friend said to me, “Ah, Miranda! You have got sooooo fat”
“Thank you” I said, since it was meant as a compliment.
“Are you not breastfeeding? You’re supposed to get thin when you’re breastfeeding”
“Oh I am, but I’m eating lots too!”
“Yes you must be. I almost didn’t recognize you! I thought you were---------- (names a lass who is not so thin).” Looks me up and down with an appraising eye.
“Yes, very very fat! Huge in fact!”
“Thank you! Thank you very much”

6 comments:

Dumdad said...

It's a pity it isn't a compliment over here. Fat chance of that!

Angela said...

What a lovely compliment!

Rob Inukshuk said...

Right, that settles it, bugger the diet, I'm moving in next to you!

PurestGreen said...

That is fantastic. More compliments like that in the world, please!

Lori ann said...

So great, so lovely. you tell the very best stories Miranda.

Iota said...

Yup. Life from a different perspective.

I was so sad when this morning, my perfectly ordinary sized 5 year old asked me if she was fat. I said no, not at all, she was just right. She disagreed and thought she was fat. I told her that Barbie wasn't normal (I'm guessing this is where this came from) but just a weird plastic shape not like real girls or women.