Monday, October 12, 2009

These are my genes, people

A couple of weeks ago, in a pique of extravagance we bought a new kettle. This is extravagant because a) a good kettle in this here town costs much the same as bribing the leader of a small developing country (give or take), and b) the said piece of electrical equipment is likely to live a short yet volatile existence before being spiked by a surge of electricity that will send it to the big appliance store in the sky.

But we bought one anyway. It was too shiny and pretty to resist and we are much like magpies when it comes to shiny pretty objects.

It was not to be though.

My mother blames a bad dream involving a snake and a fire, as well as two thirds of her life lived without electricity.



Yes, people, she put the electric kettle on the gas stove. Went away and when she came back was wondering why the flames were so big.


She ain't never gonna live this one down.


(The photos don't do the carnage justice).

14 comments:

PurestGreen said...

Oh. My. God. Are you going to hold a service for your Kenwood? What a story. After the shock wore off I laughed heartily - thanks.

Janelle said...

man. am still guffawing. and most likely will be for the rest of my life when i think about this. bladdy funny, man. oh and ask pamu about how discs catch viruses as well....so looking forward to our natron safari. will take notes. xxx j

Angela said...

I LOVE Pam. I`m sure it was all due to the dream. Snort.

tam said...

This has made my week.
I love my mother so much.
I am going to be chuckling and chuckling all day. To be fair, I don't think most of your readers would be able to cook the fine meals that she can cook on open woodfires... ne?

tam said...

still laughing

tam said...

award for you by me

spacedlaw said...

I can imagine the smell!
Sorry about the disaster.

Val said...

oh blimey!!!! of course i can relate :-) electric kettles should have chords dangling to remind you!

Lisa said...

Ohh, this is easy to do, it seems. We had a houseguest ruin a kettle this way, although not quite as spectacularly. I love electric kettles, but they confuse people.

Shiny said...

Oh, that's great. And kudos (cudos?) to your mother for doing it so spectacularly! xx

Rob Inukshuk said...

Okay, so explain this electricity thing again....

Lizzy Frizzfrock said...

Lordy, lordy... mama's got to buy you a new one! Yep, she'll never live it down. Pity...

Miranda said...

LF - oh she plans to! And I'm just pleased she didn't burn the house down so no hard feelings there!

Rob - yes, exactly!

Shiny - that's my ma!

Lisa - I'll tell my mother - she'll be pleased!

Val - true, true! I wonder f that would've made a difference?

Spacedlaw - it was quite something! My husband jumped out of bed saying 'I smell gas', went through to the kitchen and found my mother looking dazed with a melted kettle in her hand! Not gas, plastic! Nothing a few open windows couldn't fix. Now if we could just figure out how to get burnt plastic off the floor and our chopping boards!!

Tam - yes, true. Man but she is being teased!

Geli - that's what she says...I'm not so sure!

Janelle- heh heh! Yes, notes please! Altho camping with no electricity is her environment so maybe you'll have nothing to report!

PG - a service -a fine plan!

Lori ann said...

heehee, your poor Mom, I believe Tam. Electricity is so overrated.
There's an award for you at my place Miranda dear.