Sunday, May 23, 2010

Then and now

I love staying at my dad’s. Going for a walk early in the morning to the bottom of his plot. Walking into sticky cobwebs that catch the morning light. Looking for spoor telling the story of the night – a duiker here, a bushpig there. A mouse, an elephant shrew. The dogs bark at a bushbaby. taunting them big eyed up a tree.

 

Meeting up with old friends. Having a funfun games evening with old girlfriends. You know the game Articulate? One person has a word on a card and they have to describe it without saying the word. And you have to guess. And see how many you can do in a minute? Guz had Jay. She said “It’s a bird. It’s also a letter of the alphabet” so I say “ABCDEFGH – Swift!”

Maybe you had to be there.

 

Talking with my ex who lives in my dad’s studio.  Him full of reminisces

Remember that huge puff adder we found in the generator room?

Remember the Korean client who trod on a puff adder.

Remember Sebastian, our squirrel.

Remember that wounded lion we had to dart, the one that you walked into.

Remember when I nearly shot you. And you had to dismantle the mechanism on the rifle so that I wouldn’t try again.


Yes. Yes, I remember


And having a session with Rosie the psychic masseuse who looks at your feet and into your soul, and tells you your secrets.


But the best thing. The best thing is that I’m ready to go home. 


To Tanzania. To my man and our little pink house on the hill with its pretty picture window. And I love Zambia and its place in my heart but I no longer ache to be here with every fibre. I now also love my new home, my new friends and the new adventures to be had.


And that’s the main thing, isn’t it?

10 comments:

Mud in the City said...

You've reached the best and rightest place to be had. Soul deep enjoyment of the past, but utter happiness in the present. How lovely.

And please - more about the psychic masseuse....

(WV is 'snests' - is that where the swifts live?)

PurestGreen said...

It's so hard to ache for a place, and such a relief when you can still love it but without the extra pain of longing.

Rob Inukshuk said...

It's great to be away, but going home is good too and even better that you are at peace with leaving the place you love and going home where you belong.

JoeinVegas said...

remember remember remember - nice to be able to have nice things to remember

Lemon Gloria said...

Knowing and feeling where home is is huge. Sometimes, like in my case, it takes forever to figure out, but once you do, it's the comfiest, warmest feeling.

Also, I would absolutely love a psychic masseuse. She sounds like magic.

Shiny said...

Oh, wow, yes, what a fabulous of fabulousest place to be! xx

gstickings said...

well put! Although I think you have an advantage in the not-aching-in-*every*-fibre thing by making home in another country in Africa. For me in Europe/the West, for the foreseeable future, some fibres still ache, every single day

Lori ann said...

yes dear, that is the main thing. keep remembering you are so lucky to have so many places that are special to your heart.
and freaking awesome.

Lizzy Frizzfrock said...

Wonderful post. Remembering is sometimes difficult, but you seem at ease with yours.

Spiny Marshmallow said...

Fab Miranda - that is just such a lovely piece