Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Costume shopping and mzungu prices

Today we went to Mitumba, the second hand clothes market, to buy costumes for our play. I have waxed lyrical about Mitumba many a time so shan't do so again. Save to say that I LOVE it. You can find all manner of marvelous things there. From Diesel jeans to skanky choopies (underwear) to silver cowboy boots. Its fab. ANyway I managed to not get distracted by these delights (not the choopies) and get all the stuff we needed for the play. We also went to the market to get materials for making props and I had to hide each time, wait for the actors to go and get the proper price and then appear to pay. "You need to hide with your white skin!"

Conducted an experiment. I said to one of the actresses. 
"How much would you buy these shoes for?" 
"6,000 shillings"
"How much do you think they'd charge me? 25,000 shillings?"
"Yes, about that"
So she went and asked. 6,000 shillings. I went and asked 25,000 shillings.

Feh. 

Forgive the brevity of my posts. I am ti-i-red! But really want to write more. So....

*************************



10 comments:

Janelle said...

you see? tired white. xxx j

There are Cuckoos in my Nest said...

Ah yes the "white" price not the "right" price...
Choopies - one of my favourite words along with dawa, dudu and kali!

Lizzy Frizzfrock said...

Oh well, at least you got good prices. I need a Tanzanian dictionary to learn about dawa, dudu, & kali along with the choopies! Get some rest.

JoeinVegas said...

That looks like the same window as in the last picture. Nice though.

Miranda said...

Joeinvegas - oops, you're right! Thats what happens when u write posts in a rush!

LF - there are some great Swahili words out there!

There are cuckoos in my nest - welcome! Choopies was the first Swahili word I learned! Popping over to yours now!

Janelle - yes indeedy!

Lemon Gloria said...

Choopies! What a fun word to say! Choopies choopies choopies!

Shiny said...

Oh I like it too! I will try to refer to my undies as such from now on xxx

Spiny Marshmallow said...

Avoid the choopies at all costs.

There are Cuckoos in my Nest said...

oh so funny, trying to teach this little mad house a new swahili word - they know dawa and kali and a few others but they cant get the hang of choopies - CHAPATIS they keep saying! Give it a day a week.

HHI said...

Hello,

My name is Kristen and I work on a popular American TV show about people who have recently relocated abroad. For our upcoming season, we are hoping to find people who have relocated to Tanzania. In my research, I came across your blog and am reaching out to you in hopes you might be able to help me find participants for our show.

House Hunters International tells the story of an individual, couple or family who has bought property outside of their native country. Being on our show is a lot of fun for our participants and a great way for them to document their exciting search for a home and new life abroad. It's also a very positive show which offers a wonderful opportunity to inform our viewers about interesting countries and cultures worldwide.

We’re currently looking to cast people who have recently relocated and have bought or are currently looking for a home in Southern Africa. If you fit this qualification or know anyone who does, I would love to tell you more about the project. You can contact me at househunterscasting@leopardfilms.com.

We would love to film our first ever episode in Tanzania this year, so I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you in advance for your help.