Friday, October 29, 2010

The Red Thread

I hear the news. It explodes deep and red in my solar plexis and slowly seeps out, through my body, into my veins.

Out my eyes.

I imagine him looking down on us now, seeing a thread of red, winding here and there, linking together all the people who knew and loved him. Because really, as clich├ęd as it sounds, to know him was to love him. In some places the colour is deep, the thread is thick, in some, perhaps for those who didn't know him as well, it is faint. But it is there. The centre is in Lusaka and the threads come off from there, all the way to England, to South Africa, to here in Tanzania.

He didn’t make it, my friend.

And I am so so so very sad.

Maybe later I will write more. Tell you more about him. Maybe not.




****************************

And on the other side of the spectrum my sister had her baby, which is just the best news in the world. I am an aunty and so so so happy!

How is it possible to be SO sad and SO happy, all at the same time?

*************************************

Picture Window





Ain't it beautiful out there?

11 comments:

Janelle said...

beautifully written my dear dear mo....i always remember that night in lusaka with mark - when you were going through your uma thurman stage and i looked like annie lennox gone wrong and you wore your hyeana vomit jacket and i had deep red wax on my lips and we went with mark to the polo after no sleeping and partying the whole night and all the snobby ladies at the polo looked at us sideways and mark walked with his arms around us both smiling wide as the early morning sun and mark let me ride his hottest pony and i stayed on....xxx j

spacedlaw said...

Oh no!
So sorry your friend did not pull through.

Mud in the City said...

So sorry Miranda. My words are empty, but your description is a rich memorial. Thinking of you.
xx

Angela said...

Why can`t our friends leave us all on the same day, the one of our own departure?!

Rob G said...

I am so very sad for your loss. What a wonderful man he must have been. Condolences.

What joy for you and your family at the arrival of your sister's baby. Congratulations.

And there you have it, life in the raw, birth and death, happiness and sorrow.

Great picture window view to sooth an aching heart.

Val said...

so sorry to hear about your friend - tragic tragic - you just never know hey? in your words 'what is remembered lives' its so true. Sad and happy - such is life - congrats on auntydom!! xxx

Lemon Gloria said...

Oh, Miranda, I'm so very, very sorry. I read your first sentence and I was afraid of where this was going.

Congratulations on the new baby, proud aunty! I'm glad for you that something so joyful arrived as well - a reminder of the best things in life (especially when terrible, senseless things happen). Hugs to you.

Miranda said...

Ah thanks J. Heh, wasn't that a fun a fun night! Weren't there police involved too?

Thanks Nathalie - me too!

Mud - thank you. xxx

Geli - Hmmm, a logistical nightmare, I imagine!

Rob - thanks for the ind words!

Val - yes indeed. The words I stole from Reya tho!

LG - thanks! Unfortunately you know all about grief plus the excitement of babies thrown into the mix. xxxx

karen said...

Hi Miranda, I was so very sad to read this news..and yes, it really is so beautiful out there...happy that you have the joyful babies in your life, too x

Lisa L said...

so very, very sorry. and so hard to get your mind about it i bet. thinking of you, and your's..and his...what a trajedy..

family Affairs said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. What a horrific tragedy. Such a waste. On the opposite - the rollercoaster life we all know and love - very happy to hear about your sister's baby. Lx