Sunday, December 5, 2010

Shadows of windows




Oh it is so time for a new post. Of this I am fully aware. I have things piling up behind me though, things to do, piling up and piling up and slowly pushing me forwards like all this snow falling on our northern hemisphere friends. And soon it will have pushed me forwards, up against the wall, to a point where I have to deal with it, discard, bury, or do until I can rise to the top, dig myself out. Its not bad, its just, you know, there.

Instead I find myself every morning hopping on my motorbike and riding to work, through the fields that have - virtually overnight - transformed from dusty haze into clear-green. Dodging fresh aardkvark diggings (that make me whoop with joy) and seeing little mini stone bomas and cattle kraals that the little herdboys have made while they pass the time looking after their sheep and goats. I pass the sheep too, looking terribly gormless and doff. Heads all together looking at the same spot on the ground. Maybe they are much cleverer than I am giving them credit for. Maybe they are actually discussing world affairs. Of the human or the sheep variety - either would be impressive.

And as I ride I have been pondering all those big question life throws at us sometimes. You know the ones. About life. About death. About how things can change so drastically in just a millisecond. This post, for instance from an old university pal who is in a wheelchair. All the things we take for granted. The feeling of the sea on our toes. And this post, so well put.

I find myself clutching to life these days, remembering how tenuous it really is. Hugging my baby gal a bit tighter. Worrying when my man takes the motorbike on the big road. What was the last thing I said to him? What if it's the last thing I did ever say to him? I feel like I'm turning into neurotic worrier. But I get like this sometimes, it'll pass. I guess when someone close to you dies so suddenly you're bound to feel a bit tumble dried.

In other news: Our group in Zambia has just been invited to perform at a festival in Copenhagen! How cool is that! (More paperwork edging up behind me)
Rehearsals are going great. Am loving it. Its one play, 2 casts, that will tour around the country next year. Having fun. I'm doing what I love. And what I'm good at. (If I don't say so myself!)

oh and also the RAINS are here! This time of year makes me so nostalgic. The different bird calls. They sound so happy. The different weight of the air. Look, here, the first rains:



And now, so green!

11 comments:

Lori ann said...

living life in the very moment is what it sounds like. hug that baby girl and yes! marvel at the aardvark (diggings) would give a million to see one.
and congratulations on copenhagen! such exciting news and so deserved for all the hard work put in.

i'm ashamed to say i just discovered an envelope i thought i'd sent to you, agg! it's on it's way now, as of friday. sorry.

keep up all the good work my dear, one day at a time. and as always, love the picture window.

xo lori

p.s. word veri : hoozzl
could be used in a varity of ways!

tam said...

Lekker post. Miss you so much.

Angela said...

Imagine all that rain turned into snow! That`s what it is like here, in the Northern Hemisphere, and also in Copenhagen, I think. When will you be going? Your Dad can teach you some Danish!
Yes, hug your little girl also from me, and you be careful when YOU ride your motorbike, too!
Haha, veri word is aaqua!!!!

Dumdad said...

Seize the day!!!!!!!!

spacedlaw said...

Great news about Copenhagen!

And yes, we are fragile. We are born that way, short lived moths with a taste for fire.

JoeinVegas said...

A motorbike and green fields. Nice seasonal changes.

Miranda said...

Lori - ooooh an envelope for me, how exciting! If it makes you feel any better I've just found an unsent Christmas card from 2 years ago! xxx

Thanks Tam. Miss you hobbos too. xxxxxx

Geli - The group will be going in May, sans me unfortunately!

DD- yes indeed!

JoeinVegas - Yes indeed. Except the seasonal changes not so fun when it pours and I'm on the bike!
Nathalie - well put!

Shiny said...

Oh, well done on Copenhagen, you clever thing. And the worrying thing? Oh, I know that. The hugging the ones you love tight? I know that too. Hug tighter I say and quell the worrying with hugs xx

Angela said...

They are leaving you at home? No Copenhagen for you? Were you naughty? And I was just going to teach you that wonderful Danish question (polite way) of "Hvad behager?", pronounced like VABAHAA? meaning "WHAT?"

Lemon Gloria said...

Oh, Miranda, I love so many things about this post. I love the haunting title and the gorgeous photo that suits it so well. I love that there are industrious little aardvarks running around. I'm so flattered that you liked my post enough to link to it. And last but hardly least, YAY for your FANTASTIC news! Well done!

red-handed said...

And here we have blankets of snow. Stop worrying and enjoy!