Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Life admin and bird poo

Yesterday was end of month life admin day. Ugh. All those boooring things the government says you need to have. Or else. Forms, VAT, PAYE, NSSF. Taxes basically. Bla. I want to get a T-shirt printed saying 'I'd rather be on Facebook'. End of month in town is never the best, 'specially when you have all these taxey type things to do. Aaaanyway, its not such a big deal. So halfway through my day I noticed a bird had shat on my arm. 

The parking attendant at TRA (Tanzania Revenue Authority) was looking very dour and grumpy. I tried to be extra nice to her. 'Pole na kazi. Pole na jua kali'. Sorry about your work (doesn't translate quite as well but a common saying) sorry about the sun. How are you, how is home?' She thawed ever so slightly. 
'What's that on your sleeve?' she asked 'Looks like a bird shat on you'
'Yes, they say its good luck'
She laughed 'Whoever told you that is a fool!'

Fair point.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Fools and drunk speak the truth. Haven`t you noticed how extraordinarily lucky you are today?

Val said...

she is jealous - no bluebird shit (shat) on her arm :) the perspectives are so different.

Shiny said...

Haha, I like that! I hope you don't mind, I linked to your beautiful post of yesterday x

Janelle said...

heh! i love ya mo....nice to share a vodka cocktail this arvie and lara is the smartest lil thang EVER....yes. that bird shit DOES bring good luck i'll say. yeah. x j

karen said...

Hi Miranda. I think it is Definitely Good Luck! Great to see that you are blogging more these days. Fantastic old photos of your home schooling days, and of course lovely Lara!

I read your post about your friend, Mark - so sad. Can't add more than what everybody else said.. sending you some thoughts from over here...s

Lori ann said...

haha, i just love when you tell stories. bird poo luck, funny. and why not? luck is everywhere i believe. xxx