Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Photo promt



see the home-chopped hair!

I promised that whenever I was stuck for things to write I'd put up an old photo from longlong ago. 

So here we are.

My mother was into falconry when I was kid. Well she still is but doesn't have any birds at present.





And we had these two Lizard Buzzards. One was hers and one was mine. A male and a female. And my mom, she taught me all the things to do. We made all the jesses for their feet and the lures and everything. And we (tried) to teach them to hunt and they came to our welding gloved hand at the blow of a whistle. Not necessarily the most agile or quick to learn creatures in the world but I loved my bird so!





7 comments:

Mud in the City said...

Beautiful. And guess what? I've just read your grandfather's book about his lions, finished it yesterday, so lovely - and now I feel a longing for African skies.....

Miranda said...

Oh cool! Yes! Come on over!

Angela said...

There is this beautiful falcon poem of a poet from the Middle Ages,
Ich zôch mir einen valken
mere danne ein jahr...
It`s about a falkner who taught a falcon to hunt, for more than a year, and when he had taught her everything and wrapped gold around her...she lifted herself up and flew into other lands.
Sigh. Beautiful creatures, and you both look so professional!

Lori ann said...

Ah, I LOVE these photos. Such good memories for you and your mom. I always feel as if I'm watching a movie (or reading a book, which is where these photos need to be, when I look at your pics).
how's that little baby gal? talking yet?
xxxx

Lemon Gloria said...

I just love reading about and seeing pictures of your growing up. Your family is so amazing.

Red Dirt Lattes said...

"My mother was into falconry when I was kid." Who gets to say that??!!!
It's just too cool.

karen said...

Hi Miranda. Such fantastic old (and new) photos, as ever! I have been loving reading your grandfather's journals, too!