Saturday, May 21, 2011

Signs


 


My dear friend Janelle always reads the signs on daladalas (minibus taxis) to see what messages and signs there are out there for her. She says

 

i love the timing of those dala dala's...i ALWAYS read them....like they are carrying messages i need to read at that particular time...i never ignore that kinda shit...

 

And I’ve started doing it too. Its fun. They’re quirky and funny and sometimes poignant.

 

Sometimes I'm driving along, going happily about my day and suddenly, unexpectedly, I find myself crying, thinking about my friend Mark J. Last time this happened it was triggered by this Jackson Browne song. The version I have have is this by Linda Rondstadt and Emmylou Harris. Mark and my dad sang it for another friend's funeral a couple of years ago. 

 

...I don't remember losing track of you 

You were always dancing in and out of view 

I must have thought you'd always be around 

Always keeping things real by playing the clown 

Now you're nowhere to be found....

 

...And I can't help feeling stupid standing 'round 

Crying as they ease you down 

'cause I know that you'd rather we were dancing 

Dancing our sorrow away ... 

 

 

Today though, I was driving along, heading home after doing some boring chores thinking how much I missed my baby. How when I'm away from her I feel like my arm is missing. Then I thought about Mark's widow saying she felt cut in half. And I was thinking how its his birthday next month and how he loved to celebrate his birthday with all his friends. This year he was planning to have it in the valley - my hometown. And there I was sobbing in the traffic again. And then - and this happened last time too - a daladala (minibus taxi) drove past with MARK emblazoned on the front.  Those are the only two times I’ve seen (or noticed) that daladala.

 

Coincidence maybe, but I choose to take comfort from it. 

8 comments:

Janelle said...

ah miranda...a lovely lovely post...written with great feeling but not gushy sentiements...big hug angel...xxx j

Celeste said...

Sounds as though Mark is looking out for you Miranda (and probably trying to tell you to not be sad, in his own unique way.)
Big hug xx

Red Dirt Lattes said...

I believe so much in signs. Little reminders that we are right where we should be, feeling just what we should be. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Mud in the City said...

What a perfect reminder that the world is bigger than we are. Sometimes things happen to remind us we're not alone.
xx

Lemon Gloria said...

Oh, I love the signs on the daladalas! And what a pretty, sing-song word!

And I believe the signs are signs. I really, really do.

Lori ann said...

hug hug hug sweetie. whatever gives you comfort i say. i believe in signs too. i'm glad that bus came by right at the right time.
xxx

Lizzy Frizzfrock said...

Nice post. Lovely words to the song.

Amanda said...

i believe in this kind of thing. once read the writer/monk thich nhat hanh who said to look at the taillights of the car in front of you in traffic and see the buddha, blinking back at you.

i love rondstadt, jackson browne, such great music.and warren zevon...oh. miss him so.

so happy that you received this comforting message..... your friend connecting....