Thursday, June 23, 2011

The plot



So I think I told you that we have a plot of land? A wee dry windswept hilltop with stunted gnarly trees and dusty patches from decades of overgrazing by goats. And sweeping views of the maasai steppes and mount Meru. I love it. 

We've tried to plant a few acacia trees and, a bit ambitiously in a drought year, some other indigenous plants that require a bit more water than there is out there. We shall see how they fare. 

We've been having these power cuts. Mostly off all day every day and sometimes all day every day and all night too. There used to be a loose system - if its off in the day it'll be on at night and vice versa. But I believe there is very little water in the dam due to terribly bad rains so now its certainly more off than on. Which, as Lemon Gloria would say, is a very rich person's thing to complain about. So I'll try not to. Just sayin!

So the days that we have electricity I trawl the internet for house plans and ideas, and the days we don't I make these little cardboard models. Yes I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment!  

I'm not sure when we'll start building, but its all a very exciting process and I'll be sure to keep ya'll updated. And yes, we're looking into the solar/wind energy options!

And time for a picture window update, no? 



Not much to see these days...

6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Would if I could- send the ever pouring rain that has not stopped up here for 10 months. I can actually watch the grass grow from morning till night , the next day it is ready to mow again. We have two rain forests nearby and with climate change it seems to be establishing itself all over this area. Too much rain, sky filled with water, webs between the toes...

Amanda said...

i bet your view is heavenly. what a lovely thing to plan for a new house — you can get it all right the first time instead of remodeling someone else's vision.....

Lemon Gloria said...

Love the girl looking out onto all this possibility!

Thank you for the link. I'm well aware that so much of the world does not have electricity, does not have potable water...and yet I get so annoyed and impatient when the water or electricity is off. I know that I am spoiled.

And I've been crap at commenting, too, but I still read and enjoy!

Shiny said...

Oh, how exciting! And look at Lara surveying her land - so sweet xxx

JoeinVegas said...

Ahouse someday - lots of planning!

Miranda said...

Linda Sue - oh I wish you could!

Amanda - I know, very exciting!

Lisa - I know, I always have to stop myself on the brink of complaining that we only have 1 car!! I would be VERY useful but... puhlease!

Shiny - this pic reminds me of her great grandfather - he used to stride off like that when he had building projects planned!

Joeinvegas - yes, can't wait!