Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crocodiles



Time for some old pictures while, rarer than Tanzanite, I have a spare moment with both babies asleep. I have so much to say and I really really don't like neglecting this ol blog of mine but right now the reserves don't stretch that far. A two and a half year old and an eight week old - I'm sure you could market them to army training camps or something, to test people's stamina and ability to cope under duress.  Didn't someone do an experiment once with olympic athletes and two year olds - and the athletes couldn't keep up?

Aaaanyway. Crocodiles. I scroll through my album of old pictures looking for something that may be of interest and find these two.



The old foundations in the middle of our camp never got built on. They had dreams of being a house I guess but in the end but were only ever a sandpit for us kids, a training ring for Widdle the warthog, the origin of the name 'the ruins' for our camp (which confused many a baffled tourist) and, at one point, a home for my uncle's croc eggs. I'd spend hours watching those damn eggs, waiting for that squark-squeak of baby croc breaking through. Oh the excitement! And then I'd ever so gently help them out of the leathery egg and try to keep away from their pin-sharp teeth. I'd made one bite me once just to see. And never did that again!  



These baby crocs are fine, pretty cute, even. But when I was littler my small friend Salimu was washing clothes in ankle deep water in the river with his family and got taken from right under their noses. I can still hear the wailing of the women reverberating around camp. They shot the croc and found him inside, in three neat pieces. The croc was massive, laid out on the concrete slab behind the Chibembe kitchen with a big stick propping open its jaws.

**************************************

Picture window


we've been having these major dust storms of late. hard to see from our window but normally you can see HILLS far and wide. rain's have started tho - so that should put and end to that for the next few months -  yay!



8 comments:

Shiny said...

I'm always amazed by your childhood stories. They're so fabulously wild xxx

Lori ann said...

aw, wish we were neighbors, i'd love to be reinforcements, i have survived that camp! so much fun at your house these days i imagine!

i LOVE seeing the photos of your childhood, images are so important to preserve (i think) and by putting them up here you are doing an excellent service to yourself and future generations. and besides its facinating. watching baby crocs emerge, who does that?

in only 8 weeks we'll be back to your part of the world, i'm sorry we won't be closer, i would love to get a cuddle in with those babies!
xxx lori

p.s. i can imagine all my knitting posts have grown monotonous, but here's one you may like, theres not a piece of wool in sight, i hope you can watch the video:

http://www.loritimesfive.blogspot.com/2012/03/boys.html

Angela said...

Yes Miranda, watch that video! And good that it rained.
I remember that incident of your playmate getting caught by a crocodile. It was a horror then, and still is. I am glad you both survived all your adventures and are now mommies yourselves. Hug your babies from Auntie, too!

spacedlaw said...

What great pictures, despite the drama.
It's good to hear from you.

Lemon Gloria said...

I always LOVE your old family pictures and stories! Love!

lisa lawrence said...

In Papua New Guinea...going to Brown River...the parents would say "get out of the water if you see bubbles". ie crocodiles. Can you imagine? I never swam in Brown River. Dogs and people were taken routinely. It terrified me.

Val said...

i love to see these pictures - I remember you like this! and the light and atmosphere brings it all back so sharply. Well done at finding time for a blogpost!!

Miranda said...

Shiny - heh, its funny how one's own reality is just normal, huh... Glad you like them tho!

Lori - oh how I wish we were neighbours too! And that video is awesome! So much jumping off bridges - wow! Always love your posts...

Geli - My memories of that incident are so vivid. Too tragic for the family. Hugs to the babies delivered!

Spacedlaw - thanks! Good to hear from you too, been a bit wrapped up of late!

Lisa - Ah thanks! I'll have to dig up more!

The other Lisa! - Eeek, too scary. No way we'd go anywhere NEAR the river, bubbles or no bubbles!!

Val - Heh, funny hey! xxx